Heat exchanger

Vellamo has a 46hp Westerbeke engine that is raw water cooled. There’s a heat exchanger that basically acts like a radiator. The original one was in rough shape, so I pulled it out to clean it up. Looks like it hasn’t been done in a while.  

  Broken end cap. I bought 4 replacements… Good to have a couple spares.   It’s not supposed to be filled with that crap.   That is a piece of something I found jammed inside the heat exchanger… not supposed to be there.  The outlet was almost entirely clogged. 

I don’t have any pictures of it apparently, but there’s a zinc anode that was completely gone… thus allowing the rest of the metals to corrode. 

I also don’t have any pictures of it cleaned up… guess I need to be a better blogger. 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Engine, Repair/refit/upgrade. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s