Rebedding the standing rigging. 

The surveyor picked up several deck leaks, which I expected from the boat being left to rot for years. 

One area of special concern are the shrouds. I pulled all of the plates on each of the 6 areas they penetrate the deck, and rebed them all with butyl. Sabre did a really cool thing where they chamfered out the fiberglass at each penetration, and then used plates with a little reversed chamfer to allow for a good bead of sealant there. This lets the rigging move and flex a little while still keeping a bond and stay sealed.  

      
I feel so much better knowing there’s a really good seal around each shroud.  

Advertisements
Posted in Repair/refit/upgrade | 2 Comments

Heat exchanger

Vellamo has a 46hp Westerbeke engine that is raw water cooled. There’s a heat exchanger that basically acts like a radiator. The original one was in rough shape, so I pulled it out to clean it up. Looks like it hasn’t been done in a while.  

  Broken end cap. I bought 4 replacements… Good to have a couple spares.   It’s not supposed to be filled with that crap.   That is a piece of something I found jammed inside the heat exchanger… not supposed to be there.  The outlet was almost entirely clogged. 

I don’t have any pictures of it apparently, but there’s a zinc anode that was completely gone… thus allowing the rest of the metals to corrode. 

I also don’t have any pictures of it cleaned up… guess I need to be a better blogger. 

Posted in Engine, Repair/refit/upgrade | Leave a comment

It begins

After almost a year of “negotiation”, I finally closed on Vellamo. She’s a Sabre 42, and her hull number indicates she the last of her breed. Sabre changed models after this. 

I have renamed the boat to Vellamo, partially to remove the bad karma from its previous owner, partially because I didn’t care for her original name, but largely to pay homage to my Fin heritage. Vellamo is from Fin mythology, she’s the goddess of the water, the seas, and the wind. 

My search for a new-to-me boat did not include Sabres, nor anything as big as 42′. Mostly because I didn’t think I could afford it. As I live aboard, love to actually sail, and hope to explore the world via the sea, I had a specific set of parameters in my search. Not the least of which was wanting a 1/2 project boat. I say 1/2 project because I want enough of a project to “make her mine”, but not so much project that I don’t get to enjoy it along the way. 

I stumbled upon this boat and was immediately nervous. There’s no way a Sabre of this size was for sale for this little and could float. In truth, she hasn’t been put in the water yet, so no idea if she floats. She came equipped with almost everything you could imagine… great sail inventory, generator, dinghy, 2 marine AC’s, refer, radar, plotter, wind generator, etc.

Along with this amazing list came years of neglect. Everything leaks, everything is moldy, and everything needs rebuilt. Good thing I wanted a project boat. 

Now comes the work. I’m intimidated and excited at the same time with how much I need to do. There’s going to be a lot of learning, a lot of improvement, and likely a few mistakes. Obviously, this first part of the blog will be mostly working… but hopefully I can interject some sailing too. 

Posted in General | Leave a comment